Just tap in these words in Google and you will see that a lot of people are hesitating between purchasing a Kitchenaid or a Kenwood robot. I’ve noticed that a lot of UK bloggers prefer the Kenwood, maybe because at the origin, it’s a British brand. The Kenwood Manufacturing Co. Ltd. was founded in 1936 but got famous for its food processor Kenwood Chef which was launched in 1950. Kenwood has been owned by the Italian company DeLonghi since 2001.
Kitchenaid, all American brand, all American dream. KitchenAid is a home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool Corporation. The company was started in 1919 by The Hobart Corporation to produce stand mixers; the “H-5″ was the first model introduced. Si if you want, Kitchenaid was the first brand to introduce the concept of a standing mixer. A range of four colors was introduced in 1955 and the brand got promoted by famous television chefs such as Julia Child and Martha Stewart. Now you understand why they became so iconic and popular.
Enough for the history, let’s have a look at the pro’s and con’s of both brands. I made this comparison based on my own experience and based on many reviews I found on the Internet.
- Retro look: let’s be honest, the Kitchenaid looks great in every kitchen!
- Pick your colour: pick and match it with a colour that suits your personality (or your kitchen walls)
- The bowl has a handle, I find this very useful
- Complementary attachments exist but a bit hard to find at a reasonable price if you don’t live in the States
- Power: if you plan to make bread you will find that with the lighter models, base will vibrate and move around
- Strong and robust
- You can use many complementary attachments such as the blender, ice cream maker, pasta maker, etc.
- It is the professional choice
If you choose a Kenwood I would advise the Major or the Chef. Kenwood is definitely the choice if you are a professional or thinking about becoming one
If you are, like me, a sucker for design and you are a homebaker, I would go for the Kitchenaid Artisan. But get the K5 Kitchenaid PRO if he needs to handle all your preparations.